Featuring new hats, headband, chokers, ruffled collars and new designs all made from repurposed materials.
Redding Civic Auditorium
Saturday, November 12
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All Rumpelsilkskin designs are made:
>by me in Humboldt County, California
>from repurposed items
>by thoughtful collection and composition of materials
>to flatter the wearer
>to give a good value to the owner
>to inspire others to reuse materials
Five Reasons I “Reuse”
Reusing (or upcycling) is not only a great strategy for me but also for anyone looking to create new, and exciting products. Here’s what “reusing” can provide:
1. Enhances creativity: In using a “throw-away” I am free to experiment. I don’t have to worry that my materials are too costly, both in terms of dollars and what the planet has to surrender for me to do my work.
2. Brings forth new products: Since I am using non-traditional material I can’t help but come up with something new.
3. Cheap or free: My neckties range from being free to just a few dollars each. I also reuse netting from fruit bags and integrate other found or broken objects.
4. Sustainability: My number one priority is to be earth friendly. I love that very little of what I make has to be purchased new. It’s great that the items I reuse don’t have to end up in the waste stream.
5. Education: When people see my work and recognize the beauty of reuse it helps encourage them to also reuse and make the most of what we already have.
Materials to reuse are all around us. Not everything can be composted or recycled so often there are lids, twist ties, bags, strings and more that get tossed out and end up in landfills. These items are perfect for reusing. Thrift stores, rummage sales and free boxes are great places to find things to reuse. If you are looking for inspiration and a host of interesting materials SCRAP Humboldt in Arcata is THE place to visit.